Learner permit

Before you can start taking driving lessons, you will need a valid Learner Driving Permit (previously know as a provisional license). Application forms and details on how to apply are available from your local Motor Taxation Office, the Road Safety Authority or on the Citizen's Information website.

If you are applying for a Learner Permit for the first time, you will first need to pass the Driver Theory Test on your knowledge of the rules of the road, good driving behaviour and motoring legislation. Details including how to apply are available on the Driver Theory Test website.

On passing the theory test you will be presented with a certificate which you can then submit with your application for your learner permit. The certificate is valid for two years from the date of the test.

You should have your leaner permit with you at all times when driving, and your instructor will ask to see it before starting your lessons.